TERRACHECK® is a temporary silt fence barrier that is 100% biodegradable and eco friendly. It's designed to impound sediment-laden runoff, reduce sheet flow* and capture sediments. Terracheck is made of recycled, needle punched & stitched biodegradable fibres and installed with bamboo poles.
*’Sheet flow’ means water runoff which flows over the ground surface as a thin even layer, not concentrated in a channel.
- Detain runoff flows so that deposition of transported sediment can occur through settlement
- Filter sediment to help mitigate the risk of fine sediment reaching waterways
- Replaces the standard synthetic silt fence in low risk applications where the required performance will be met using TerraCheck.
- Very durable
- Low environmental impact
- No removal required
- Low visual impact, looks natural
- Easy to install
- Low overall cost.
- No disposal costs if the fence is left to degrade
- No injuries resulting from installing Waratahs
For sheet flows only, not concentrated flows.
In areas of high rainfall or as a secondary protection measure, multiple fences could be considered to ensure the catchment capacity is maintained.
Not to be used to dam a channel to reduce velocities or placed where it will intercept concentrated flows.
Contact your local council or regulatory body prior to installing to ensure approval for its intended use.
100% Biodegradable Material: Wool fibre, Jute reinforcing, Cotton stitching and Bamboo poles.
|100% Biodegradeable||Requires removal to landfill or deconstruction for reuse|
|Low carbon footprint||Higher carbon footprint|
|Wool releases nutrients into the soil as it biodegrades||May release microplastics|
|NZ made using waste wool, jute, cotton and bamboo||Uses imported synthetic materials|
|Low cost, NO removal required: $11 to $15 /m total||Higher installation and removal costs: $13 to $30 /m total|
|Simple installation tools||Heavier installation equipment|